Sunday, September 18, 2011

Bluetooth modem in Ubuntu 10.04

Finally work with my Samsung GT-E2230M. Although I'll not be using this since there're abundant of much cheaper and faster 3G connections, who know I'll need it some day so it's good to know that it could. The blueman package in the standard repositories so far provided all the bluetooth functionalities that I need so far.

Connecting up to PPP with the handphone as a modem is as simple as right click the respective phone in the bluetooth manager and navigate to "Serial Ports" => "Dial Up Networking". First time trying this it managed to established the connection but subsequent tries greet me with socket error. Then I have a good luck by clicking the setup assistant (the gear icon) and go through the 2 step wizard. Once connected, I can see the ppp0 interface is up with IP address assigned but I can't ping any public IP address. Checking the route, the routing table is empty. Try adding some default gateway "route -a [ppp0 ip addres] gw default" but still can't ping outside address.

Finally found what I need in this blog post. The ppp0 must be set as a default connection.
# ip route change default via [ppp0 ip address] dev ppp0.
Voila ! I'm connected to the Net now.

No comments: