Skip to main content

Bluetooth modem in Ubuntu 10.04

Finally work with my Samsung GT-E2230M. Although I'll not be using this since there're abundant of much cheaper and faster 3G connections, who know I'll need it some day so it's good to know that it could. The blueman package in the standard repositories so far provided all the bluetooth functionalities that I need so far.

Connecting up to PPP with the handphone as a modem is as simple as right click the respective phone in the bluetooth manager and navigate to "Serial Ports" => "Dial Up Networking". First time trying this it managed to established the connection but subsequent tries greet me with socket error. Then I have a good luck by clicking the setup assistant (the gear icon) and go through the 2 step wizard. Once connected, I can see the ppp0 interface is up with IP address assigned but I can't ping any public IP address. Checking the route, the routing table is empty. Try adding some default gateway "route -a [ppp0 ip addres] gw default" but still can't ping outside address.

Finally found what I need in this blog post. The ppp0 must be set as a default connection.
# ip route change default via [ppp0 ip address] dev ppp0.
Voila ! I'm connected to the Net now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PHP with docker

A friend asking about a PHP library and I decided to test whether that library is working. But I don't have PHP environment setup (we're Python shop btw). But thanks to docker, that's easy these days. docker run -it --tty --rm --volume $PWD:/app --user $(id -u):$(id -g) composer require google/apiclient:^2.0 Then we just need to create the script to run, still in the same directory:- include_once __DIR__ . '/vendor/autoload.php'; $GCSE_API_KEY = "nqwkoigrhe893utnih_gibberish_q2ihrgu9qjnr"; $GCSE_SEARCH_ENGINE_ID = "937592689593725455:msi299dkne4de"; $client = new Google_Client(); $client->setApplicationName("My_App"); $client->setDeveloperKey($GCSE_API_KEY); $service = new Google_Service_Customsearch($client); $optParams = array("cx"=>self::GCSE_SEARCH_ENGINE_ID); $results = $service->cse->listCse("lol cats", $optParams); And we can run that script again using docker:- docker run -it --...

AI coding tools fragmentation

Executive Summary The discussion centers on a tweet by DHH (David Heinemeier Hansson) from January 10, 2026 , arguing against the fragmentation of AI coding tools. DHH contends that developers do not want a separate CLI for every model provider (e.g., Anthropic’s Claude Code, OpenAI’s tools). Instead, he advocates for a unified interface —specifically citing OpenCode —that allows developers to swap models within a single environment. The thread reveals a three-way tension in the developer community between convenience (unified tools), corporate control (walled gardens), and sovereignty (running local models). Key Discussion Themes 1. The Fatigue of Fragmentation The Problem: Developers are exhausted by "model choice fatigue" and the need to manage multiple CLIs. As Rob Zolkos noted, the fragmentation is absurd, leading some to write scripts just to manage their AI CLIs. The Desire: There is a strong consensus (DHH, Will McGugan, Mustafa Ergisi) that a "universal s...

How to build your own programming language

I've always fascinated in how programming languages are built and have made it into my 2017's new year resolution to learn building one myself. So here are all the notes collected along the way. My presentation at Malaysia Open Source Conference - How to build your programming language ?  I plan to extend this presentation at upcoming PyCon APAC  in this August with an example in Python. A write up in Malay - Bagaimana bahasa pengaturcaraan dibina ? A series on building simple interpreter in Python by Ruslan Plivak - Let's Build a Simple Interpreter ! A book on writing an interpreter with Go (Golang). I'm still making up my mind whether to buy this or not -  https://interpreterbook.com/ . Free book on building interpreter using Java and then C . This is not complete yet but the author also recommend Interpreter book above in his reply to my reddit's comment. (Updates 2020: It's complete now!) List of reddit's threads related to chapters in t...