Skip to main content

Weekend project

Quick weekend project - a website to search for 'halal' status of products in local market. The data was scraped from JAKIM website. The primary motivation for doing this is to search for halal status from my mobile phone - small feature phone with browser (not android). The JAKIM website can't even being displayed on my phone. It used Django at the backend and the well known Twitter Bootstrap for the frontend page. This is my first use of Bootstrap, it simply work out of the box for mobile browser (mine is the old opera mini, 3.0 something I guess). I try to avoid Django for weekend project but the offer django-haystack has for quick search tool is too tempting so I decided to still use Django for this one. The search backend is Whoosh with the integration mostly done by haystack. Scraping JAKIM website not easy, the data are all in heavily nested html tables with no id or class to identify. I use python lxml lib to parse the html. When user search for keyword, it will look first in the Whoosh index and if none found, try to query JAKIM site directly and then redirect user to the same page with their query parameter. To make the result immediately available, I used the real time index feature of haystack that will automatically update the index once new item inserted into db. This site has one advantage over the JAKIM site. The search on JAKIM site was naively implemented that you can't even search for multiple keywords. For example searching for "shokubutsu original" yield no result from JAKIM while my site return exactly what I want.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PHP with docker

A friend asking about a PHP library and I decided to test whether that library is working. But I don't have PHP environment setup (we're Python shop btw). But thanks to docker, that's easy these days. docker run -it --tty --rm --volume $PWD:/app --user $(id -u):$(id -g) composer require google/apiclient:^2.0 Then we just need to create the script to run, still in the same directory:- include_once __DIR__ . '/vendor/autoload.php'; $GCSE_API_KEY = "nqwkoigrhe893utnih_gibberish_q2ihrgu9qjnr"; $GCSE_SEARCH_ENGINE_ID = "937592689593725455:msi299dkne4de"; $client = new Google_Client(); $client->setApplicationName("My_App"); $client->setDeveloperKey($GCSE_API_KEY); $service = new Google_Service_Customsearch($client); $optParams = array("cx"=>self::GCSE_SEARCH_ENGINE_ID); $results = $service->cse->listCse("lol cats", $optParams); And we can run that script again using docker:- docker run -it --...

AI coding tools fragmentation

Executive Summary The discussion centers on a tweet by DHH (David Heinemeier Hansson) from January 10, 2026 , arguing against the fragmentation of AI coding tools. DHH contends that developers do not want a separate CLI for every model provider (e.g., Anthropic’s Claude Code, OpenAI’s tools). Instead, he advocates for a unified interface —specifically citing OpenCode —that allows developers to swap models within a single environment. The thread reveals a three-way tension in the developer community between convenience (unified tools), corporate control (walled gardens), and sovereignty (running local models). Key Discussion Themes 1. The Fatigue of Fragmentation The Problem: Developers are exhausted by "model choice fatigue" and the need to manage multiple CLIs. As Rob Zolkos noted, the fragmentation is absurd, leading some to write scripts just to manage their AI CLIs. The Desire: There is a strong consensus (DHH, Will McGugan, Mustafa Ergisi) that a "universal s...

How to build your own programming language

I've always fascinated in how programming languages are built and have made it into my 2017's new year resolution to learn building one myself. So here are all the notes collected along the way. My presentation at Malaysia Open Source Conference - How to build your programming language ?  I plan to extend this presentation at upcoming PyCon APAC  in this August with an example in Python. A write up in Malay - Bagaimana bahasa pengaturcaraan dibina ? A series on building simple interpreter in Python by Ruslan Plivak - Let's Build a Simple Interpreter ! A book on writing an interpreter with Go (Golang). I'm still making up my mind whether to buy this or not -  https://interpreterbook.com/ . Free book on building interpreter using Java and then C . This is not complete yet but the author also recommend Interpreter book above in his reply to my reddit's comment. (Updates 2020: It's complete now!) List of reddit's threads related to chapters in t...