Skip to main content

The rise of localhost

I noticed a pattern in dex world, where you build client backend to participate in the network, and then build a web app that simply connect to localhost:someport for the UI.

To check my scuttlebutt updates, I opened up http://localhost:8027/. For those using Ethereum Parity wallet, they can open it at http://localhost:8180/. ZeroNet users are browsing at http://localhost:43110/.

But Parity for example, try to make it seamless, they still provide a dns - web3.site which then redirected to home.web3.site which simply resolved to 127.0.0.1. But this I think bring up some problem, especially non-tech user which think that Parity is a website hosted by Parity Technologies. I seen this in a some articles about the latest bug.

Comments

Kamal Mustafa said…
Keep in mind of DNS rebinding attack - https://ret2got.wordpress.com/2018/01/19/how-your-ethereum-can-be-stolen-using-dns-rebinding/

Popular posts from this blog

PHP with docker

A friend asking about a PHP library and I decided to test whether that library is working. But I don't have PHP environment setup (we're Python shop btw). But thanks to docker, that's easy these days. docker run -it --tty --rm --volume $PWD:/app --user $(id -u):$(id -g) composer require google/apiclient:^2.0 Then we just need to create the script to run, still in the same directory:- include_once __DIR__ . '/vendor/autoload.php'; $GCSE_API_KEY = "nqwkoigrhe893utnih_gibberish_q2ihrgu9qjnr"; $GCSE_SEARCH_ENGINE_ID = "937592689593725455:msi299dkne4de"; $client = new Google_Client(); $client->setApplicationName("My_App"); $client->setDeveloperKey($GCSE_API_KEY); $service = new Google_Service_Customsearch($client); $optParams = array("cx"=>self::GCSE_SEARCH_ENGINE_ID); $results = $service->cse->listCse("lol cats", $optParams); And we can run that script again using docker:- docker run -it --...

AI coding tools fragmentation

Executive Summary The discussion centers on a tweet by DHH (David Heinemeier Hansson) from January 10, 2026 , arguing against the fragmentation of AI coding tools. DHH contends that developers do not want a separate CLI for every model provider (e.g., Anthropic’s Claude Code, OpenAI’s tools). Instead, he advocates for a unified interface —specifically citing OpenCode —that allows developers to swap models within a single environment. The thread reveals a three-way tension in the developer community between convenience (unified tools), corporate control (walled gardens), and sovereignty (running local models). Key Discussion Themes 1. The Fatigue of Fragmentation The Problem: Developers are exhausted by "model choice fatigue" and the need to manage multiple CLIs. As Rob Zolkos noted, the fragmentation is absurd, leading some to write scripts just to manage their AI CLIs. The Desire: There is a strong consensus (DHH, Will McGugan, Mustafa Ergisi) that a "universal s...

How to build your own programming language

I've always fascinated in how programming languages are built and have made it into my 2017's new year resolution to learn building one myself. So here are all the notes collected along the way. My presentation at Malaysia Open Source Conference - How to build your programming language ?  I plan to extend this presentation at upcoming PyCon APAC  in this August with an example in Python. A write up in Malay - Bagaimana bahasa pengaturcaraan dibina ? A series on building simple interpreter in Python by Ruslan Plivak - Let's Build a Simple Interpreter ! A book on writing an interpreter with Go (Golang). I'm still making up my mind whether to buy this or not -  https://interpreterbook.com/ . Free book on building interpreter using Java and then C . This is not complete yet but the author also recommend Interpreter book above in his reply to my reddit's comment. (Updates 2020: It's complete now!) List of reddit's threads related to chapters in t...